Saturday, September 26, 2009

Calm in the midst of a storm.

I have two hats when I write.  When I wear my Fashionable Giving hat, the writing is dedicated to my business and the people I love.  I work to maintain a journalist's perpective, more curious, expressive and committed to learning and sharing information about causes that have touched me directly or, to those closest to me.  When I wear my DFTALS hat, the writing tends to be more personal, devoted almost exclusively to living with ALS, caring for a patient and/or finding my way, some days like Columbus in the new (post-ALS) world. 

From time to time, I find that I'm wearing both hats (and looking pretty dorky I might add!) because what has my attention applies equally to both audiences.  Calm in the midst of a storm is a DFTALS post from a few weeks ago.  I wrote about natural and emotional disasters and the steps one can take to be prepared for the inevitable storms (or earthquakes!) in life.  I find myself re-reding the post today as I struggle a bit to "re-center" myself on the anniversary of my brother-in-law Howard's passing.  We lost Howard 13 1/2 months after losing Bill in a freak motorcycle accident, that even today, 3 years later defies explanation.  Howard...I miss you.

We all face difficulties, annoyances, trials and daily irritants.  Some blow in... and then blow out.  Just like the stems on a dandelion.  Others, like Death, are tougher.  Death is but one of the many winds that will knock us off course if we have not prepared mentally.  Sudden death, can potentially take us off course forever.  Meditation, positive reading material, time with friends and loved ones are each important ingredients in our emotional emergency preparedness kits.  The DailyOM and the daily lessons/affirmations from The Science of Mind combined with my friends, create the safety harness that keeps me tethered to the planet.

So how about you?  What do you do to keep your balance when the inevitable storms hit?  Please share your stories here. In the meantime, I wish you "Cool Runnings" Peace be the Journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment