Saturday, October 31, 2009

5 October Insights



Hard to believe that Halloween is here and we're officially in the countdown to the holidays!  I LOVE this time of the year.  The air is crisp and so are the apples!  The landscapes are a riot of color and...we get an extra hour of sleep (clocks "fall back") tomorrow!  As Thanksgiving approaches, I'm grateful for some of the insights gained this month.  Here's what I know for sure...
  • Breasts need regular tending!  As an owner, it is my responsibility to take the steps necessary to protect my health.  So I will continue to do my monthly self exams and schedule my annual birthday trek to the radiologist to be contorted into poses that would make a pretzel jealous!  All to keep me and "the girls" healthy.  I hope you will do the same!
  • Self esteem can be fragile.  The words we hear, beginning at a very young age all come together to form our self image.  It doesn't take much to crush someone's self worth, but there are concrete steps we can each take to strengthen our self image.  In the meantine, it's worth remembering that words matter - especialy the ones we choose to describe or speak to, ourselves.  The sub-consicous mind cannot take a joke.  Choose your words carefully.  Choose to lift up, rather than tear down.
  • Safety is personal.  Know the warning signs that you or someone you care about may be in a destructive relationship.  Be alive, awake, conscious and aware of your surroundings, friendships and what/who you listen to.  It just might save your life.
  • Time is a gift.  In the fast paced world we live in, if feels difficult sometimes to slow down.  It's all perception!  Catastrophic illness diagnosis forces you to slow down and make the time to examine what is truly important.  I firmly believe that it's also a wake up call to each of us when a friend receives a diagnosis.  There are ways to help and encourage your friend and in the process, give yourself a gift that money cannot buy.
  • Friendship is the most precious gift.  I consider myself quite fortunate to have many friends.  My richest blessings are truly my girlfriends!  I asked several friends to share their stories this month.  Janey, Katie and Lynda were honest and selfless.  Thank you!  I hope they have inspired and encouraged you to write your own story....maybe you'll share it here!!?  I took a few minutes today to re-read each post and am reminded of what I appreciate in each of these amazing women.  As I write this, I smile and offer a silent prayer for their continued good health and presence in my life, knowing that everything can change in an instant.
Thank you for reading and commenting.  I appreciate your kind words and encouragement!!  November is National Caregivers and Hospice/Palliative Care month, and 3 new Heart of Hope bracelets will make their debut.  So much to cover...so little time! 

Cool runnings - Peace be the journey!

Photo Credit:

No comments:

Post a Comment