Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lynda's Story


My friend Lynda is tall, blonde and lights up a room with her easy, beautiful smile. We met about a year ago and she instantly made me feel as if I were a long, lost sister! My fondest memory to date is a “girlfriend” chat conducted on her oversized bed, because she had broken her ankle and was literally bed-bound. We were surrounded by plump pillows and laptops, discussing Facebook and enjoying the beverages delivered to us by her very patient and adoring, husband and son. In all, a perfect way to spend an afternoon…except for the broken ankle part!  I asked if I could share her story and I am truly grateful she said yes!

KKL: How and when did you discover your cancer?
L: I felt a lump in my breast 6 years ago and thought that the mammogram had burst my breast implant. When the plastic surgeon went in to replace it, she found the tumor and removed it. I have been 5 years clear, and then in January of this year I felt a new lump in the other breast, and it was a brand new occurrence. I had a double mastectomy 3 weeks later.


KKL: How did you react when you or your doctor found the lump?
LW: First time it was a total shock because my doctors also thought that my implant had ruptured because the mammogram showed nothing. Second time I felt the lump I had a pretty good understanding of what it was and just could not believe that I had a totally new occurrence in the other breast.


KKL: How you chose to treat your cancer?
LW: I had chemo and radiation and a lumpectomy the first time, and a double mastectomy the second time.


KKL: How you have changed (if at all) following your treatments?
LW: Yes...I really did learn not to sweat the small things as much and to enjoy every single day!


KKL: What was the single most important thing that helped you during your treatments?
LW: My family and friends support.


KKL: If you could share one piece of advice, what would it be?
LW: That it really is true that if you are aware of your own body, go with your gut, and know that if it is caught early, your chances of survival are excellent....you just need to be strong and get through the treatment. A positive attitude is also so important...knowing that you can and will get through it!


KKL: Anything else that matters to you in sharing your story.
LW: That we can be SURVIVORS!

No comments:

Post a Comment