Thursday, October 29, 2009

Movie Corner - October


Like suicide, cancer (in general) and breast cancer (in particular) doesn't seem to be the stuff of Hollywood.  Although there are so many women who live/work under the bright lights of the entertainment industry, who have bravely shared their cancer stories. Sheryl Crowe and Melissa Etheridge jump quickly to mind.  I admire both women for not letting cancer define who they are as human beings or as artists.

I will say that there are more movies about the topic than I expected.  My GoodSearch search netted a couple of good leads.  The first is a blogpost by Michelle Kung:  Chemo Style on the Big Screen: Top 10 Picks for Cancer Movies.  Based on her descriptions, I have added "Pieces of April" (2003) and "Blow Dry" (2001) to my Netflix queue. Of the movies reviewed, Patch Adams, starring Robin Williams is one of my favorites.  Not mentioned, but a wonderful movie about cancer, friendship and carrying on is "Calendar Girls", proving once again that girlfriends and laughter are a great source of healing.   The second is a post by Jacki Donaldson, discussing "In the Land of Women", starring Meg Ryan.  I like Olympia Dukakis and Meg Ryan, so that's in the queue as well!

So....I'm thinking that popcorn may not be a great diet addition for chemo patients.  But since I have no personal knowledge, I'm willing to be open minded and would love to hear from you, the experts.  Can you, in fact enjoy popcorn if you are undergoing chemotherapy?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment