Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Katie's Story



Katie is regal, with a lovely, proper British lilt to her voice.  In my humble opinion, the queen of England could take lessons in diplomacy, grace, and generosity from Katie!  Our worlds were worlds apart, until I dodged a layoff bullet at CommerceOne and found safe haven in Katie's fast paced world of international partners.  She helped me to grow as an employee, a team mate and as a human being.  Over the years, she has championed my dreams as an artist, offering advice, encouragement, and cold, hard cash!  She is one of my most loyal customers!  In my experience it is rare when a manager/subordinate relationship results in a lasting, personal friendship.  There is so much more I could say, but instead I will share with you that my life is infintely richer as a result of our friendship.  Here is her breast cancer story.
"Breast cancer touched our life when our sister in law Susi was diagnosed and passed away two years later.

An annual mammogram identified a lump and even dispite having a painful biopsy I was Pollyanna and nothing was going to happen to me.
I was working for a start up company and traveling across the country between the biopsy and my diagnosis and really I just felt it was an inconvenience!


My surgeon assumed I knew but because of my travel I had not been home for the call from my doctor! I was not Pollyanna. I had breast cancer, I knew it killed and had a 4 year old daughter who would always have the risk. That was the most devastating moment. Noone can prepare you for it.


What I was also not prepared for was the outpouring of love and support from all points of my life. I discovered friendships that I know I will cherish for life and I realized that I had to live life to the full.


My cancer was stage 1 and detected very early. I had it removed and then did 7 weeks of radiation which they tell me has a very high success rate. Women have lives for another 30 years - that is not acceptable to me as I want the 50 year plan!!! I want to meet Elizabeth's grandchildren!!


I look back 18 months later and know that the diagnosis was also about my life and my priorities. I resigned from the start up and volunteered for a non-profit helping women-led, high growth companies. I am now working for Astia full time, still working hard but making a difference and Elizabeth understands what I do!!


I am thankful for the research but know we need to know more - I want a world where Elizabeth does not have to worry about Breast cancer as it is curable, and no families lose their Susi."

No comments:

Post a Comment